Potholes, fly-tipping, flooding, pollution contacts

POTHOLES: Reporting system for potholes and pavements

photo of pothole

Cambs County Council have a web based form for notifying them of pot holes, footpath problems, overhanging branches, fallen trees across footpaths or bridleways, etc. Click here to start.

The list of issues on which you can report are shown below:

FLY-TIPPING: Report this via the South Cambs DC envirocrime web page.

Fly-tipping is illegal. If you witness someone fly-tipping, call the police on 999 and report it as a crime in progress. All instances of fly-tipping should be reported to us, whether you witnessed the fly-tipping take place or not.

When you report the fly-tipping you must try to include the following:

  • Exact location
  • Date and time you discovered the fly-tipping
  • Details and photos of the items
  • Vehicle’s registration number and other identifying features such as colour and model
  • Description of the fly-tipper(s) and the direction they were travelling
    Use this SCDC form to report incidents of fly-tipping

South Cambridgeshire District Council are responsible for:
Refuse collection and recycling Tel: 03450 450 063
Abandoned vehicles Tel: 03450 450 063
Pest Control Tel: 03450 450 063
All other enquiries: 03450 450 500


If you own land adjoining, above or with a watercourse running through it, you have certain rights and responsibilities. Cambridgeshire County Council have issued guidance to all residents in relation to this. For details click Riparian owner fact sheet.

If you spot signs of pollution in rivers or streams, please call immediately so Anglian Water can act right away. The most obvious sign of sewage pollution of a stream or river is the presence of sewage solids in the water, but there may be other indications. These include:
• toilet debris such as toilet paper, condoms and sanitary products
• soap suds or a milky-looking discharge in the water
• grey coloured water
• a noticeable sewage smell in the air
Contact the Pollution Watch hotline 03457 145 145 Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and free from a BT landline.
For more details of this service click here.

In the event of flooding, we recommend you contact the specified authorities involved in dealing with emergencies, which are generally as follows:

Police : Dial 999 only in an emergency, dial 101 for non-emergency.
Responsibility: Co-ordinate the emergency services in a major flood incident and help with evacuation of people from their homes where it is necessary.

Fire & Rescue Service: Dial 999 only in an emergency, dial 101 for non-emergency.
Responsibility: Respond to all emergency incidents as required. Assist public with personnel and equipment where a need is identified. They may also pump out floodwater (Contact your local service to ask about this. There may be a charge for this service).

The Environment Agency (EA): Flood line 0845 988 1188 service and Incident Hotline on 0800 80 70 60. (You can listen to recorded flood warning information for your area or speak to an operator for advice 24 hours a day).
Responsibilities: Issues flood warnings for flooding from rivers, the sea and ground water and deals with emergency repairs and blockages on main rivers. The Environment Agency is responsible for building, maintaining and operating flood defences and for issuing flood warnings to the public, other flood responding organisations and the media.

Cambridgeshire County Council (CCC) Highways: 0345 045 5200 (Option 3) or out of hours contact the police.
Responsibilities: Places flood warning signs on roads, organises road closures and diversions and clears blockages on highway drainage systems. Work with the police, fire and rescue services and the Environment Agency to co-ordinate responses during severe flooding. Deal with road closures and disruption to social services. Investigate disruption caused by overflowing drains.

You can report flooding on the council’s website following this link: Report a flood – Cambridgeshire County Council

Anglian Water: 03457 145 145
Responsibilities: Deals with blocked main sewers, and investigates issues with overflowing sewers.

Environment Agency Floodline: 0845 988 1188

Incident Hotline: 0800 80 70 60

County Council: 0345 0455200 (out of hours in an emergency call the police)

Anglian Water Services: 03457 145 145

Anglian Water: 03457 145 145

Water supply pipes covering South Cambridgeshire and Cambridge City areas ONLY: 01223 706 050

(updated 25 10 2023)